10 Benefits of a Smart Home
FOUNDER & PRINCIPAL BROKER, JP Capital Realty
What is a smart home?
A smart home is any house that uses automation to make living and working more comfortable, convenient, efficient, and enjoyable.
Modern smart homes have gadgets like smart locks with video doorbells and smart thermostats. Automations can be found in all parts of the home, from security cameras to voice-activated light bulbs, to appliances like refrigerators that detect when food is running low.
Automations are features that can be activated to make life easier, such as providing the ability to turn on air conditioning before you get home so the house is cool for your arrival, or having curtains set to automatically open in the morning.
Automations in New Homes
While any home can be set up with smart devices, new homes now include many built-in smart features. These may include refrigerators, doorbells, security systems, sound systems, and so on—all controlled through smartphones or tablet apps or control panels in the home.
Homes with advanced automations may include blackout shades, smart door stations, motion detectors, in-ceiling speakers, drop-down movie screens, 4K surveillance systems, web smart gigabit network switches, gigabit VPN routers, and more.
Benefits of a Smart Home
- For large entertainment spaces such as living rooms without cable TV, smart TVs can be an affordable alternative and handily synced with smartphones, tablets, laptops, and other devices.
- Devices such as the Amazon Echo and Google Home can help with tasks including setting alarms, reading the news or the weather forecast, and streaming music from Pandora or Spotify.
- Sonos smart speakers (and other brands) pair with smart phones for remote play and playlist control
- When multiple devices are connected, people can easily share information, pictures, and videos, from anywhere in the house.
- Ring has smart security solutions for all living situations, from senior communities to college apartment buildings. Ring doorbell cameras allow people to see who is at the door, whether they’re inside the house or across the country.
- Ring motion sensors allow monitoring of activity around the house from any place in the world with a smart phone connection.
- The benefit of Ring smart security devices, such as the doorbell camera or motion detectors, is affordability. Compared to hiring a traditional security company, Ring packages are much cheaper.
- Smart pet collars automatically dispense medicine, detect when a pet is sick, and warn the pet against eating something poisonous or harmful.
- If someone needs help getting around their house, they can use an Amazon Echo to help find things they need.
- Smart home benefits also include having an easy way to control lights and appliances remotely from a phone or tablet with voice commands.
Are There Any disadvantages?
There are three main disadvantages:
- Smart homes can be expensive to set up.
- The cost of gadgets, devices, and connection packages can add up.
- If the power fails or the internet goes out, many devices won’t work.
Summing It Up
Most people believe the advantages of smart features greatly outweigh the disadvantages. We are a busy, over-stressed culture, and anything that makes life easier and convenient appeals to most of us. And, in the pursuit of leveraging time to be more efficient and productive, we find automations to be our allies.
Undoubtedly, more and more automations will come to be standard issue in new homes and expected upgrades in older homes, especially those being purchased by millennials and Gen Zs.
JP Capital Realty specializes in helping people buy and sell homes in Laureate Park and greater Lake Nona, where properties with state-of-the-art automations are common. Looking to buy a new house or sell yours? Call JP at 407-962-6888.